Tomato pasta – a staple for any student on a tight budget. With only a few store cupboard ingredients you can make enough for a few days’ meals.
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Pasta of choice
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkling of sugar
- Mixed herbs
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- Fry off the onion until translucent and soft. Put on a pan of water for your pasta at this stage.
- Tip the tomatoes in and heat until the liquid is bubbling. Season to taste, sprinkle in the sugar and mixed herbs.
- Let it simmer on a medium heat until the pasta is cooked. Drain the pasta and combine with the tomatoes.
- Serve with some grated cheese on top.
- Make sure to buy chopped tomatoes and not whole peeled tomatoes.
- If you’re feeding a group, double or triple the ingredients.
- This goes down quickly so it’s best kept in the fridge in either an airtight container or covered over with clingfilm.